The Best Hip or Knee Surgeon in Adelaide - How do you Choose?
When you need to choose a hip or knee surgeon, the selection of the best specialist for you is important.
There have been many recent advances in the field of hip and knee surgery. Whether you need an arthroscopy, an ACL reconstruction or a hip or knee replacement, there are now many approaches and specialists to choose from.
The process of finding the best surgeon for you that is both suitable and located in Adelaide can be daunting.
How do I find the best hip or knee surgeon?
An excellent place to start your search would be your general practitioner, they are trusted gatekeepers for specialists such as orthopaedic surgeons specialising in the hip and knee.
Your GP is familiar with your medical history, and may also have several patients with firsthand experience with specific surgeons, clinics and hospitals.
It is also common to talk with other patients who can give you a perspective of not only the surgeon and his or her ability but also the preoperative and postoperative care offered.
Dr Google is also a valuable resource. Not only for information about anatomy and procedure details, but also when researching a doctor’s experience and subspecialty focus.
It is important to understand that your surgeon has the focus, experience and current training to resolve your specific problem.
All surgeons are required to participate in a regular peer reviewed audit of the clinical results of their surgery such as the rate of infection and other complications. Detailed data on the long term results of their own hip replacement and knee replacement procedures is also readily available for all Australian surgeons. Patients are increasingly interested in this information and your surgeon can make this available to you so that you can make an informed choice.
More and more patients are sharing their experiences on platforms such as Google Reviews and Facebook. While not definitive, they can add some perspective on a particular clinic and past patients’ satisfaction.
How to choose the best hip or knee surgeon
Here is a checklist that covers the key points in selecting the hip or knee surgeon. Does your specialist offer:
- Suitable qualifications and training in specific procedures being considered
- Experience with hundreds or thousands of successful procedures
- Statistics on results of their surgery, preferably independently audited
- Peer recognition or third party accreditation from a “Centre of Excellence”
- Proper resources and support staff for the provision of postsurgical care
- Clear costing and policies for your procedure
- Easy access to your doctor if needed
- Convenient location for consulting and your procedure
- Evidence of active participating in continuing education as a participant and as a teacher.
From a subjective viewpoint, you should feel comfortable with your doctor and feel free to ask any questions about your treatment.
Your doctor should take the time to listen to you and clear any doubts that you might have.
Ideally your hip or knee surgery should be performed at a facility that is a recognized “Centre of Excellence” which would ensure that
- The facility has performed the required number of hip or knee surgeries in the last year with excellent outcomes
- The staff have undergone training specific to hip and knee procedures, and
- There is a patient coordinator who is your first point of contact from start to finish throughout your recovery journey.
If you live in or around Adelaide and would like to have your hip or knee questions answered, we recommend you make an appointment with Dr Bauze online or by calling 83627788
For information about Dr Bauze please click on the following links: